Get up to date with Harborough news and events! 

To view this email online, follow this link

Harborough District News.

News and features from Harborough District Council -  October 2024

image.

Phil Knowles
Leader of Harborough District Council

Welcome to your October newsletter!

I was at Lutterworth Leisure Centre this weekend to celebrate the success of the major refurbishment project. It was a great event with national sporting legend Mark Foster and local Olympic gold medallist Lauren Henry on hand for photographs and autograph signing. We look forward to the Harborough Leisure Centre open day on Saturday 30 November.

We also congratulate another sporting win for local footballer Alan Ogden who was part of the over 75s World Cup winning team in August this year. Read more from him below.

In September we welcomed over 100 people to visit and tour The Symington Building as part of the national Heritage Open Days campaign. The annual event will be held again next September. 

The war memorial in Market Harborough has been cleaned and restored, and soon bunting will be installed round The Square in advance of Remembrance Sunday.

Fleckney village has recently enjoyed a refresh thanks to grant funding to refurbish shop fronts and improve signage to local services.

The East Midlands In Bloom award winners, Market Harborough in Bloom, are celebrating an incredible third win in a row for their super efforts in keeping our town looking beautiful and colourful! Congratulations to all the winners - read more below.

Please do get in touch with our Visit Harborough team if you have an event to promote. 

If you are out and about this Halloween, do enjoy yourself, but please be mindful that not everyone is celebrating.

Please read on for all the latest news, grant details, events and service updates.

Best wishes,

Phil 

Lutterworth Leisure Centre Open Day

image.

Sporting celebrities Mark Foster and Lauren Henry were on hand at Lutterworth Leisure Centre this weekend to meet visitors to the grand open day event. Families were thrilled to capture photographs and autographs, with some even having the opportunity of some swim coaching and rowing tutoring from the sporting legends!

Face-painting, free gym, swim and play sessions were also on offer, alongside a range of stalls raising money for charities, with Everyone Active handing out freebies to visitors too.

It was a wonderful day with Cllr Phil Knowles making the inaugural speech to officially re-open the newly renamed Lutterworth Leisure Centre. Mark Foster also applauded the refurbished facilities and how important it is to have accessible exercise opportunities for the whole community. 

As part of the successful refurbishment project at the centre, the gym has been significantly improved with new state-of-the-art equipment installed, upgrading of air conditioning, gym décor refreshed, and additional upgrades to the group exercise studio.

The cycling studio now enjoys a disco atmosphere with upgraded, modern lighting and with brand-new Keiser spin bikes installed to further embellish the spin class experience. 

The facility’s name was changed to reflect the broad range of activities and spaces on offer for all the family and all levels of fitness. 

Following the official ribbon cutting by Cllr Knowles and Mark Foster, the councillors, enjoyed a taster session of accessible activities, including new age kurling and boccia, which got rather competitive! 

There are a huge range of activities on offer at the centre, for all levels of fitness. Residents are encouraged to contact the centre to discover what is available and for a tour of the new, upgraded and refreshed facilities.

image.
Read more

East Midlands in Bloom winners

image.

Congratulations to all the winners from the Harborough district at the East Midlands in Bloom contest which were announced last week.

Market Harborough in Bloom were crowned winners of the Large Town category for the third year running
Lubenham in Bloom won the Best Village category
Little Bowden Bowls Club was given a Judges Award for its garden
Stamps Funeral Directors in Little Bowden received a Gold Award for its floral displays

Cllr Knowles, Leader of Harborough District Council, said: “Congratulations to all who have played their part in brightening up our town and district. It’s wonderful news about these achievements. These beautiful flower displays always do so much to boost the mood of the day. My thanks again to everyone involved.”

Local projects benefit from more than £235,000

image.

Over £235,000 has been handed out to a diverse range of community projects thanks to the district council.

The council has allocated Section 106 money to community projects with the Council’s Cabinet Sub Committee for Grants agreeing, on 11 September 2024, to allocate £238,720 to three projects in the Harborough district.

The projects are benefiting from Section 106 money which is provided by developers for community projects and social infrastructure in locations where development has taken place. 

The projects which applied and successfully received funding are:

• Bowmen of Glen Archery Society – £147,160 to extend the existing clubhouse to accommodate an indoor archery area.

• Lutterworth Athletic Football Club – £45,780 complete the building of a club and community hub that will encompass health and wellbeing education, mental health support, exercise and diet, counselling and treatments.

• Lutterworth Town Council – £45,780 to change the internal layout of the pavilion that will encompass community health and wellbeing activities.

Read more

Lutterworth World Cup winner

image.

Alan Ogden with his World Cup medal and his dog, Monty

We were excited to have the chance to interview Alan Ogden from Lutterworth who is part of the over 75s football team who won the World Cup in Cardiff in August this year. 

Here Alan gives us an overview of his football career so far:

My Football Life

I was born in Rochdale in 1946, and supported Burnley as a teenager. 

I joined the army in 1965, and played football for the Army side. Whilst attached to the RAF I played for the station team which won the RAF cup then the team went on to be the Inter Service champions by beating the Army and Navy Champions. During this period I played 114 games in one season, which I believe is a world record. 

I joined the prison service in 1974, and over several years played for the England prison service against Scotland prison service, Army, RAF, Navy, Police, Fire  Service, Civil Service, Oxford and Cambridge Universities. 

Eight years ago I had a hip replacement, and soon after I started playing walking football in Lutterworth, which has both physical and mental health benefits, and I would certainly recommend playing the game. 

I now play walking football at Broughton Astley leisure centre. I have represented England over 70s & 75s both at walking and running football. Having recently played for England over 75s running football in the World cup in Cardiff, which we won, playing seven games in four days. 

I qualified as a FA coach and referee in the 1970s. In 2000, I was coaching Deal Town Football Club, when they won the FA VASE, at Wembley. I then moved to Leicestershire and coached at Holwell and Asfordby, at present I play for Dunton and Broughton United Vets. 

My career in the Army and Prison Service as a physical training instructor has enabled me to maintain my fitness to still play and enjoy football today. 

By Alan Ogden    

If Alan has inspired you to get fit or become even more active then check out the range of local options to suit all levels of fitness and accessibility online. Or email our Active Team: activetogether@harborough.gov.uk                                                                                                                  

Nominations for new Community Awards open

image.

People are being invited to nominate individuals and groups who make a valuable contribution to their local community in the Harborough District for a number of awards. 

Anyone can nominate voluntary and community groups, charities, volunteers, individuals, or partnerships for specific awards to recognise and thank them publicly under the council’s new Community Awards scheme. The awards event will also incorporate a presentation of the Citizenship Cup by the Harborough Civic Society. 

Details of the individual awards and criteria and how to nominate an individual or group are available on the council’s website at: www.harborough.gov.uk/communityawards24

Gartree 2: Update from Ministry of Justice

image.

You may be aware that work began on site to start building the new prison next to HMP Gartree in July 2024, which will be a category B prison, for around 1,700 adult men.

The work being carried out at the moment is to set up the site ready for the main construction next year. This involves fencing off and clearing the area, creating access roads and moving the badger setts, which is being carried out under licence from Natural England.

I appreciate your patience and understanding whilst we set up on site and get things like construction traffic and fencing running smoothly.

Construction sites by their nature can sometimes cause disruption, for example with noise or traffic management. Myself and team are committed to working as considerately as possible and listening to your feedback. My team are considering different ways we can engage with you to provide updates and would welcome your ideas. In addition to the regular letters we send out, we will also hold a drop-in session later this year, so that you can ask any questions that you have about the new prison, whether during construction or operation. We will write out with further information once we have final details to share.

You can contact my team via email (psdenquiries@justicegov.uk) should you have any questions, queries or suggestions, including on how you would like to be kept up to date on progress.

Kind regards,

James Smith

Programme Director, New Prisons Programme

Fleckney village centre makeover  

image.

A programme of measures to enhance and improve the centre of Fleckney for residents is complete.

Areas of Fleckney have been transformed including High Street shops which have received grants to make changes to signage and repaint their frontages.

The area by the village pond has had new benches and knee rail posts installed, the trees have been cut back and damaged railings have been replaced and painted.

The library and museum have a new sign that makes it clearer to visitors what local services are provided.

Work to the wall at the entrance to the village hall car park has been carried out, graffiti has been removed from road signs and traffic calming signs on the highway have also been refreshed.

The improvements, carried out by Harborough District Council, are government funded with £25,000 from the UK Shared Prosperity Fund and a contribution of £8008.80 from Fleckney Parish Council.

Read more

Are you over State Pension age, or know someone who is?

Pension Credit tops up pension income and can help with day-to-day living costs.

If you are over State Pension age, you may be eligible to claim Pension Credit, even if you own your home or have savings.

People who claim Pension Credit may also be able to get:

• The Winter Fuel Payment and other help with heating costs
• Help with rent and Council Tax
• A free TV Licence for those aged 75 or over
• Help with the cost of NHS services, such as NHS dental treatment, glasses and transport costs for hospital appointments.

You could be eligible for Pension Credit if your weekly income is below £218.15 or, if you have a partner who lives with you, £332.95. Qualifying income level may be higher in some circumstances. 

Please share this information with your friends or neighbours if you think they may find it helpful. 

image.
Read more

Halloween advice 

image.

The weather has turned and Halloween is quickly approaching. As part of our Respect and Tolerance campaign we hope by being mindful of each other everyone can enjoy fun or peace at the same time.

Here are some simple considerations for Halloween trick or treaters: 

• Only visit places you know won’t mind and be considerate to others whilst wandering between properties

• Look out for houses with pumpkins outside them welcoming visits

• Always respect the “No trick or treaters sign"

• Make sure young children are always accompanied by an adult

•  If older children are going out unaccompanied make sure that they know to:
      - Keep to well-lit areas, wear reflective clothing and carry a torch
      - Use the green cross code when crossing the street
      - Never talk to strangers who approach them

If you don’t want trick and treaters at your door you can contact communitysafety@harborough.gov.uk to request a poster or download one here

Community Safety

Rescue Me - Recycle and Recycle Week 2024

image.

Recycle week facts is running from 14 - 20 October and this year the theme is 'Rescue Me', which focuses on rescuing recyclable items from heading to the rubbish bin.

Across the Harborough District, a total of 8,746.11 tonnes of waste was recycled in the last year – the equivalent to 273, 32 tonne refuse collection vehicles.

If the uncompacted waste was put together on the pitch at the King Power Stadium, it would reach a height of 14 meters.

Glass is the most recycled item in the Harborough district, (3,235.73 tonnes in the last year).

Did you know that whilst most of the packaging in kitchens across the UK is recycled, it is estimated that only around 50% of bathroom packaging is recycled. 

Often, the reason for this is that people tend not to have two separate bins in their bathroom to separate the waste, leading to all packaging being placed in the one general waste bin. 

Another reason you might not recycle bathroom packaging is because you’re unsure what to put in the recycling bin – do I clean it? Do I put the lid on? Is this recyclable?

Unsure on what items can be placed in your blue-lidded bin? 

Go online to see a full list of what can and what can’t be recycled in the Harborough district. 

Remember: The best way to reduce waste is to buy refillable, re-usable, or sustainable products, and avoid products which use single-use plastic.

Read more recycling

Celebrate Safely

image.

If you are celebrating Diwali or Bonfire Night please consider avoiding the use of fireworks.

We would always encourage you to attend an organised event instead of holding your own fireworks display. This reduces the disturbance for other people and animals and ensures there are fewer firework night incidents and accidents.

If you do intend on holding your own please consider others by:

• Talking with your neighbours and informing them so they have plenty of time to prepare

• Only buying fireworks from a legitimate retailer

• Check the fireworks you buy are suitable for the size of garden and conform to British Standard (BS 7114)

• Always store fireworks in a metal box, kept closed between use - never put fireworks in your pocket! 

• Never hold a lit firework and always wear gloves when holding a sparkler

Please remember it is illegal if you:

• Possess a firework and you’re under 18 years old

• Set off fireworks after midnight on 5 November

• Set off fireworks (including sparklers) in the street or public place

Breaking these laws can result in an on the spot fine of £90.

Read more

Save the date - Harborough open day

image.

Harborough Leisure Centre gym has re-opened with an outstanding range of new equipment and increased range of machines and kit on offer, now boasting a 115-station gym, including new massage guns, ski-erg machines and additional weight stations. 

Feedback from members so far has been fantastic and other upgrades are also being well-received. The Atlantis Inflatable pool sessions have been fully-booked since they launched in early August, and the cycle studio has also had a welcome refresh.

The replacement dome facility is being built to continue to offer much-needed weather-proof space to local sporting groups and organisations. New lighting, new and improved flooring, additional markings for more sports including pickleball, and new equipment including netball posts, goals and nets will be available to groups who book the facility, with interest from local clubs and groups running high.

The Harborough Leisure Centre grand opening event will be held on Saturday 30 November to mark the completion of the refurbishment project. Free activities will be on offer all day for visitors to the centre and a couple of sporting celebrities will be available for selfies and autographs! Make sure you save the date! 

Everyone Active is keeping both members and visitors updated on developments via social media channels and via dedicated websites for both Lutterworth Leisure Centre and Harborough Leisure Centre 

Careers support 

Are you considering a new job, a career change, or have you just left school or taking a gap year before accepting a place at university? Perhaps you're considering returning to work after a long break or would like a voluntary role to gain experience to boost your career.

We hold regular job fairs in Lutterworth and Market Harborough and a job club every first Friday of every other month at The Wycliffe Rooms in Lutterworth. You can find the dates for forthcoming job clubs online.

You can also find online exciting opportunities in the Harborough district including local jobs, apprenticeships, training, and support for both employers & job seekers and more!

Becoming Self-Employed

Training and qualifications

Resources and support 

Apprenticeship opportunities

Local jobs

Volunteer roles

If you're a local employer looking for fresh talent for your workforce get in touch today and register your interest for a job fair or other recruitment events in Harborough district.
Email: business@harborough.gov.uk

image.
Find out more

Access links and services online 24/7

image.

Completing an online form can be quicker than calling customer services and the forms can be accessed and submitted at any time, day or night!  

Here are some handy links to a range of our online services and information: 

You can report problems or defects on roads or pavements in the county, such as potholes, through Leicestershire County Council's online form. You can also go online to report other road-related issues. 

Christmas is coming to Harborough district 

The Lutterworth Christmas Market will be situated in the centre of Lutterworth on Friday 29 November from 3.30pm – 8.00pm

The Christmas Switch on event in Market Harborough is being held on Saturday 23 November,, from 5pm until 8pm.

A family fun event with live music, Christmas carols, street entertainment and even the biggest VIP - Father Christmas will be there!

The popular Christmas Food and Drink Festival will also on The Square from Friday 22 November to Sunday 24 November 2024 with a range of tasty dishes and delectable drinks to suit all tastes. 

Broughton Astley Christmas Fayre and lights switch on will be on Saturday 7 December with an exciting Santa Dash and Dawdle on Sunday 8 December. 

If you're holding a public Christmas event in the Harborough district and would like some support with promotion please email our tourism team: business@harborough.gov.uk

image.
Find local events

Councils work together to catch litter criminals

image.

We are working together with other local councils to crack down on people who throw litter from their cars on the A5.

The campaign aims to protect our wildlife and environment and keep verges clear.
Offenders who are caught on camera will be identified and issued with a fine. 

Fly-tipping, littering, graffiti and leaving dog excrement are illegal. Check online to see how you can report issues.

Remember: householders are legally responsible for any household waste produced on their property.

You could be fined if your waste ends up fly-tipped and you cannot show that you took reasonable steps to prevent it. There are several ways to dispose of the waste that cannot go into your wheeled bins:

Read more about our environmental services

New tourism signs promote the district’s largest market towns

image.

Brown tourism signs on the outskirts of Market Harborough and Lutterworth have been installed.

The signs more accurately reflect what is on offer in the Harborough district’s two largest market towns, encouraging passing visitors to stop off and use facilities and services.

Highways directional signs at several locations near these towns have also been updated and refreshed.

These improvements have been carried out by Harborough District Council in a bid to improve tourism and maintain pride of places in the Harborough district.

Read more

Warm homes this winter 

image.

Green Living Leicestershire Home Upgrade Grant (HUG) is available for eligible households across the Harborough district. 

The aim of the scheme is to improve the warmth and comfort of homes that do not have mains-gas heating, whilst also reducing energy bills, carbon emissions and levels of fuel poverty across the county. 

Eligible households could receive free energy efficiency improvements or clean heating (such as air source heat pumps) for their homes, following a home assessment. Now the eligible gross household income threshold has increased to £36,000 (previously £31,000). Find details of how to apply online.

The Home Energy Retrofit Offer (HERO) provides advice to households on how to improve energy efficiency. Additional support may be given to eligible residents through one-to-one advice in their home and a free assessment to identify recommended improvements.

The service aims to provide residents with the knowledge and confidence to make informed decisions about investing in their homes. The service offered will be tailored towards the needs of the resident and can therefore signpost towards relevant grant funding or assist with the application where funding is available for retrofit measures.

Find details on eligibility and how to apply online.

Capture your creativity by our beautiful waterways

image.

The Canal and River Trust is hosting a family creative mobile phone photography session near Wellington Place in Market Harborough.

Families are encouraged to come along and use their own mobile phones, camera or tablet to capture images whilst enjoying the local beautiful waterways. This is a fun and creative family session, not designed to be an in-depth photography course.

You can book on for either of the sessions which are running on 22 October from 11:00am to 12:30pm and 1pm to 2.30pm.

The meeting point is near Harvest Road/Kimble Close, Wellington Place, Market Harborough. 

Pre-booking for the sessions is essential. Email: Sean.payne@canalrivertrust.org.uk 

Wellbeing walks 

Our Active Harborough Team has been hosting well-being walks for people registered at The Orchard Medical Practice in Broughton Astley.

The walks are a great opportunity for residents to get out in the fresh air, keep active and make new friends or chat with old friends too!

You can find walking groups, local activities, park runs and more on the Active Harborough website

image.

A well-being walk for people registered at the The Orchard Medical Practice 

Fairtrade celebrates 30 years

image.

In September we marked the 30th anniversary of the Fairtrade movement in the UK by flying the Fairtrade community flag.

Fairtrade Fortnight ran from 9 – 22 September with the aim of increasing the awareness of Fairtrade products and principles.

Market Harborough, an official Fairtrade town, has an active Fairtrade community & volunteer-run website which features useful information, recipes, & an interactive map detailing businesses across the town who support Fairtrade.

Climate change and unpredictable weather is making it harder to grow crops such as bananas and coffee beans. Combined with unfair trading prices, communities growing these crops are being pushed to the brink.

A fair income for farmers and workers is vital, so they can keep farming and can afford to invest in adapting farming methods and technology to try and offset the challenges from worsening climate and economic crises. 

By making the small switch to buying Fairtrade we can support producers in protecting the future of some of our most-loved food and the planet. 

Read more

Dates for your diary 

Find more events across Harborough district
image.

This message was sent to clerk@burtonoverypc.org.uk using NewZapp. Follow this link to Manage Preferences or Unsubscribe.